Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have swollen ankles and looks like water ozzing out at the…

Customer Question
I have swollen ankles...

I have swollen ankles and looks like water ozzing out at the ankles.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Yes a strain to my lower left leg as I was going up some stairs

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Currenty going through pemphgoid treatment with Prednisone for six months. Heart issue with skipping beats.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Swollen ankles, are likely due to prednisone. It retains water and causes ankle swelling. Thus the fluid ooze.

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Swelling of feet and ankle on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl