Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How does it take for cocaine to be o=out of your blood

Customer Question
How long does it...

How long does it take for cocaine to be o=out of your blood stream

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Blood

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Cocaine is cleared from the blood stream relatively quickly. The half life of cocaine is about an hour. The physiologic effect for which people take cocaine only occurs during the peaks levels of the drug, so only lasts up to about an hour to an hour and a half. But it really takes 5-6 hours for the blood levels of the cocaine to be negligible.

Since cocaine is cleared from the body quickly, testing will frequently look for a primary metabolite of cocaine, benzoylecgonine. The half life of benzoylecgonine is much longer, about 6 hours, so it also takes much longer for the benzoylecgonine to be cleared from the blood stream, about 30-36 hours.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

now can i change my password?

If you mean for the JustAnswer site, I am sure you can, but I am not sure how a customer would do so. You can send an email to***@******.*** to ask questions about the site.

Is there any further medical information that would be helpful?