Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My cat bit me yesterday on the tip of my finger. It took…

Customer Question
My cat bit me...

My cat bit me yesterday on the tip of my finger. It took awhile (10 miutes?) to stop bleeding, then I rinsed it and applied "new skin." Today it is still painfull and a little swollen. Would soaking in an epson salt bath be helpful?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No. She bit me lasy night...it's been about 24 hours.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

NO, I just want to deal with this bite.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

can I see the finger?

do you have a picture?

99% of cat bites become infected so likely you need to go in but i want to see it

ok

do you have a picture?

No, chat is fine.

ok

I don't have a picture. I can take one with my phone, but I don't know how to send it to you. I don't want to pay $50 to send it by text if that counts as a phone call.

You can upload a picture here for free

or email me one for a discounted price

I have gotten some texts from "just answer" do I text back a pic there?

Just upload it here

I have to email it to myself to get it on the computer...may take a minute. there it is.

Got it.

Oh boy that looks terrible

you need to go to ER tonight

Go immediately

is this helpful?

No. Will soaking in epsom salt bath help?

No. Not at all

You need to accept that it is 100% going to get more infected

and go to ER

you can go now or go later when its really bad

There must be something I can do at home.

No

You can soak it in epsom salt and when the redness spreads up your arm tomorrow or the next day and you have to go to ER you can wish that you went today

bye

bye