Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What can cause severe edema in legs? Lots of swelling and…

Customer Question
What can cause severe...

What can cause severe edema in legs?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Lots of swelling and blisters. also rough skin and itchyness

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diabetes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,
Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

I'm sorry you have swelling in your legs and diabetes.

How long have you been diagnosed with Diabetes and what medications do you take?

While I await your response

Your diabetes can be causing a change in your smaller blood vessels and create the swelling. The blisters may be a result of the swelling and uncontrolled blood sugar.

10 yrs and metformin. my latist A1c last month was 5.8

Thank you for this additional information. Your diabetes seems to be controlled, so that is not the problem. Other reasons for lower leg swelling:

Standing on your feet for long periods of time and having venous insufficiency

Too much salt in your diet

Congestive heart failure

As common reasons.

Do you have any other medical problems? Your age?

If no other medical problems, then may I suggest you purchase support stockings and reduce the amount of salt and salty foods from your diet. Also when you are seated, elevate your legs which will help venous circulation and the swelling. May I also suggest that you schedule an appointment with your doctor for further evaluation to possible include lower extremity circulation flow studies (Doppler ultrasound).

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

How are you feeling?