Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 16 year old daughter's tonsils are very swollen, the side…

My 16 year old daughter's...
My 16 year old daughter's tonsils are very swollen, the side of her neck has a large bulge. We visited the doctor who took a quick strep test which came out negative. The sample also went to the lab for a more thorough test. We are suspicious of mono. She has been started on an antibiotic. She is taking Tylenol and Advil alternating every 3 hours.My question is two-fold. First pain management. She is in a lot of pain. Do you have any suggestions for something to help ease the pain. Second question - is there a time we need to be concerned enough to take her to emergency? I was told the throat, although very swollen, will not interfere with breathing. Is the a chance something can burst? Anything to watch for or do we just ride out the pain...Thank you.
12/6/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any other medical issues?

No other medical issues, sensitivity to latex, but no contact that we know of. She has had a sore throat on and off for a couple months. Never tested positive for strep. Thank you for your help.

Do you have a picture of her neck?

thank you. I've attached two pictures.

I absolutely agree

probably mono

I would go to ER if she has trouble swallowing or breathing

I would use ibuprofen for swelling and pain

is this helpful?

Thank you for the confirmations, much appreciated. She is feeling a lot of pain, 200 mg of advil is not doing it, do you think we can increase the dosage? She weighs 130 lbs.

Yes, she can take 400-600 no problem

3 x per day

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor