Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I do nason irrigations about two times a week to keep from…

Customer Question
I do nason irrigations...

I do nason irrigations about two times a week to keep from getting sinus infections. I boil the water and make the solution myself. I have to wait for the solution to reach luke warm temperature. If it's still fairly warm I get severe vertigo each time I do the irrigation. Is that representative of anything?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

I would say it's been like this for a couple years. I don't know that I really have any breathing problems but I have been having issues this year with fainting spells and vertigo outside of doing these irrigations and I'm trying to figure it all out.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I started menopause this year as well. don't know if that could be related.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It is not representative of any problem. It is due to the effect of temperature on the inner ear. The fluid in the semicircular canals of the inner ear will shift in response to fluids that are significantly colder or warmer than usual. The fluids do not need to actually contact the inner ear. If they are close or touch other structures that are close, then it can have a similar effect. In addition to irritation of the nose and sinuses, we also can see this by squirting cold or warm water into the ear canal.

There is no need to be concerned about this, other than being certain to wait until the water is the proper temperature.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.