Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I take ambien during day for anxiety (don’t drive after

Customer Question
taking) I’m finding myself taking...
I take ambien during day for anxiety (don’t drive after taking) I’m finding myself taking 1-2 every 4 hours . It’s take my anxiety completely away is this safe?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

this is not a good idea

you should talk to your doctor and get on medications like clonazepam or diazepam which can last longer than ambien to help with your anxiety symptoms

also medications like sertraline, paroxetine, fluoxetine can help

hydroxyzine can help decrease anxiety symptoms.

medical marijuana can help decrease anxiety symptoms

yoga, regular exercise can help

let me know if you have questions.

The about 9 I take 2 and sleep til about 7 then that’s when I start with the 1-2
If I was prescribed 4 1mg kolopin a day . What is the difference if I’m taking the the ambien? Ambien doesn’t make me drowsy it literally takes ALL my anxiety away

if your doctor is willing to prescribe it to you, and if it works for you, then that is fine.

you should talk to your doctor about the other medications which can help as well

and try the exercise and yoga

regular exercise can help you sleep better at night time and can also decrease anxiety symptoms.

But will it kill me by doing this? I’m just not trying to make my heart stop or something

it will not kill you,

it will not make your heart stop.

pretty much taking almost 80mg of ambien with 24 hour period wont make my heart stop? Now I take them 1-2 every 3-4 hours so not all 8 at once

no, it wont' make your heart stop

but it sounds like you are still having some anxiety symptoms and worry

I tell you there are better medications to take.

so you don't have to take it so often.

Is there a good medication that is fast acting that will help with my anxiety

yes

yoga, regular exercise can help

How long does it take for the ambien to get out of my system . Example taking them every 4 hours gives time for the dose before that to leave my system right? Or is it all building up

ambien's half life is about 3 hours which means it takes 15 hours for one pill to get out of your system

so yes, taking them every 4 hours, 2 pills will build up in your system.

you shoudln't be using ambien this way

there are better medications to treat your anxiety symptoms

If half life is 3 hours then it should take 6 hours for the whole 10mg to be out of your system correct?

no, that is not how 1/2 life works

in one half life, 50% is out of your system

in 2 half lives, 25% is out of your system

in 3 half lives, 12.5% is out of your system

in 4 half lives, 6% is out of your system

in 5 half lives 3% is out of your system

so 5x the half life time is a way to estimate when it is down to about 3%