Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 12 year old son has had a cough for 3 months now. It may…

Customer Question
My 12 year old...

My 12 year old son has had a cough for 3 months now. It may go away for a day or two, but then comes back. Our Pediatrician has sent us to a ENT Specialist, Allergy and Asthma Specialist, Pulmonary Specialist and to Children's Hospital. All of them are stumped. He has been on Antibiotics, Allergy Medicine and a Oral Steroid for 4 weeks now. We thought we may have been in the clear because the past 2.5 weeks he was pretty much cough free. 3 days ago, the cough came back and it has been non-stop for the last 3 days. Thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Allergic to Penicillin

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

What test has the GI doctor done?

He has had an upper GI and that came back normal.

So he has not bee scoped or had a ph monitor, correct?

He was tested for whopping cough and it was negative. I don't believe he has had a ph monitor test done.

And he did not have a scope to the stomach?

No. Only to the throat.

OK

So, sometimes hidden acid reflux causes a cough only.

And just looking at the throat does not confirm it or deny it.

A ph monitor can be inserted into the esophagus, and this can fully rule out cough for acid reflux, which can be intractable, even with treatment.

Cough without explanation can rarely be neurological, it is a brain pattern that must be resolved. In this case, he would need to see a neurologist.

Those are my thoughts at this point.

OK, let me know if you have more information or questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually on the rating scale on the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with JustAnswer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

I forgot. He has been on Omezeperole for 2 months.

Yes, and that is why ph monitoring is needed. Omeprazole can fail, and the only way to know is with the monitor.

Please don't forget to click a 5 rating manually and then I don't have to worry about justanswer and my credit with them. I am here for follow up as needed.