Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am doing rehab for a torn rotator cuff (small

Customer Question
Hi, I am doing rehab for...
I am doing rehab for a torn rotator cuff (small supraspinatus tear and small labral tear) and over the last few days I will hear a crunching sound in my shoulder when I do external rotations Is this it getting better or should I be concerned? Only exercise other than machines for legs that I have started doing are light deadlifts and romanian deadifts. I am extending my healthcare through COBRA but have to pay upfront and get reimbursed so I rather ask this questions here before going in.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

crunching sounds in the shoulder usually is due to bone on bone rubbing called crepetis

you may need to ice your shoulder after workouts, even if you are not working on your shoulder

doing deadlifts and romanian straight leg deadlifts still puts weights in your arms and strain on your shoulders.

you need to make sure you stretch your legs and shoulders and muscle groups before and after working out as well

let me know if you have questions.

Ok, do you think I can still do very light deadlifts (a weight I could do for at least 20 reps fairly easily for instance and do it for 8-10) with proper stretching and icing? Would it have any benefits to the recovery process as far as strengthening the shoulder/rotator cuff?

your doctor and surgeon should be clearing you to do any sort of exercise after shoulder surgery.

it sounds like you want to get back into it

when was your surgery? did your doctor clear you to start lifting weights?

No surgery, just rehab and physical therapist told me I could try light deadlifts but then this crunching noise started during my external rotations with bands. I have to pay for a visit upfront then get reimbursed so wanted to try to get some feedback here first. I think Ill hold off on the deadlifts for awhile longer.

yes, I would hold off on the deadlifts if you are hearing crunching.

there are back squats which may not put so much pressure on your shoulders to hold something.

keep working on shoulder increasing range of motion exercises.

you can also try some yoga as well which could help you strengthen and be less stressful on your shoulder

let me know if you have questions.

Yea, most the exercises are focused on increasing rom. Thanks for your help!

it sounds like you would benefit from some yoga or ROMWOD to improve stretching and range of motion.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com