Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a dentist with a patient 70 y.o. male, with prostate…

Customer Question
I am a dentist...

I am a dentist with a patient 70 y.o. male, with prostate cancer and met. to bone. he has been given Donosumab (120 mg, IM, in 5/10/17 and 8/30/2017), he also received Lupron (22.5 mg, IM, 11/1/2017). Now he needs 2 dental extractions, can you give me any advice on likelyhood of osteonecrosis and post op care to reduce the morbidity.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Also prednisone 10 mgn daily, and Neulasta 120 May 10, and cabazitaxel 50 mg every 3 weeks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a cancer doctor who treats these prostate cancer patients.

denosumab is xgeva and can increase slightly risks for osteonecrosis, the risks are very very low.

Dental patients taking a bisphosphonate or denosumab should be informed that there is a very low risk of developing osteonecrosis of the jaw. The highest prevalence estimate in a large sample is about 0.1%.

https://lexi.com/individuals/dentistry/newsletters.jsp?id=december_11

is a good article

one option is to called the cancer doctor and talk about a drug holiday off of Xgeva for 3-4 weeks before dental extraction and restart the Xgeva after dental extraction

let me know if you have questions.

Thank you

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician