Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Every winter the skin on the top of my thumb splits open and…

Customer Question
Every winter the skin...

Every winter the skin on the top of my thumb splits open and it takes several weeks for it to heal (close up) and the pain to stop

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

Nothing has changed, I have had this problem every winter for years

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

So what is your question for us?

Do you have a diagnosis for your condition?

every winter the skin on my thumbs splits open and it takes weeks to heal and is very painfull how can I prevent this

It depends on what it is from.

Have you ever shown it to your doctor?

not yet

OK

Can you attach a picture

i'm afraid I don't know how to do that but it is a deep split about 1/8 in long
using lotion or moisturizers don't seem to make any difference
do you have any suggestions for preventing this from happening again

We do not treat here.

We answer questions.

In order to assist you, I need you to answer my questions.

Let me clarify: you have no diagnosis, you don't know why it happens, and you have not seen your doctor or a dermatologist, correct?

are you still there?

I just sent you a question.

Do you see it?

that correct. I have not spoken to the dr and do not have a diagnosis. I had hoped you might have a suggestion or two

Are you receiving my responses?

OK, hold on.

My first suggestion is that you get a diagnosis.

A likely diagnosis is dyshydrotic eczema.

It often aggravates during winter months.

Moisturizers are important, but alone often do not take care of it. A prescription strength steroid is often needed.

while you can try over the counter steroids, that is often not enough.

It can be very difficult to treat, hence the need for hands on diagnosis and exam.

A daily combination of steroid and moisturizer would be the prevention and treatment if this is the diagnosis.

OK, let me know if you have more questions./ I will follow up as needed, and we can talk about integrative medical treatments as well, see my premium services offer for that.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually on the rating scale on the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with JustAnswer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

ok thank you
i appreciate your help
bye now

Anytime.

Please click a 5 on the rating scale, or I am not fully credited or paid, I have not seen that happen yet.

I will still be here for follow up if you forgot something.