Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is it when your legs ,arms,and face feel like on fire.

Customer Question
What is it when...

What is it when your legs ,arms,and face feel like on fire

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelloing,it just seems like it is my nerves I guess

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No it just started last week

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing a feeling as if your legs, arms and face are all on fire. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am preparing & typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, it will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How old are you?

2) Are there any additional symptoms such as - headaches, neck stiffness/neck pain, back pain, fever, numbness or loss of sensation anywhere on the body, facial droop, one sided weakness of the arms or legs, gait difficulties, speech or swallowing difficulties, double vision, blurring of vision or loss of vision, vertigo (spinning sensation), sensitivity to light, joint pain, skin rashes, loss of appetite, loss of weight, or weakness of the muscles etc?

3) What are your current treatments (including prescription medications or non-prescription/over the counter medications or herbal/supplements, or non-medication treatments etc)?

4) Is there any excessive stress recently, or any issues with anxiety disorder?

5) Are there any issues such as lack of sufficient sleep, dehydration, work overload, missing food etc?

6) Are there any already diagnosed medical health conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns you have mentioned above.

Best Regards!

Hi, I had earlier posted above few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns. It is possible you are encountering some technical glitches to access this site properly, or you may be not in a position to reply now, so what I will do now is post an initial answer here based on the amount of information I was able to gather through your initial question you have posted above. Please go through the below answer when your time permits & when you can, and then please get back to me if you want to discuss this further.

Please see the type of symptom you have mentioned above in the form of feeling as if your limbs or face etc is on fire is itself not diagnostic for any particular single health condition. Rather there could be multiple underlying health conditions that can cause similar type of symptom, and I will first provide you below with a list of such conditions;

This is a list of various underlying health conditions that can cause the type of symptom you have been having;

Excessive Stress

Lack of sufficient sleep

Excessive workload/Excessive fatigue

Lack of sufficient exercise/Physical deconditioning

Dehydration status

Vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12, Vitamin B9/Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6 deficiencies)

Electrolyte disturbances/Mineral deficiency

Endocrine disorders such as thyroid gland dysfunctions

Spine issues such as disc or arthritis etc causing pinched spinal nerves

Peripheral neuropathy (irritation of the peripheral nerves)

Fibromyalgia syndrome

Inflammatory conditions/autoimmune connective tissue disorders

Certain chronic infections

Heavy metal poisoning etc

Please see I am not telling all these above health conditions are applicable in your case, I am mainly trying to provide you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain the type of new symptom you have been having, these are just the various possibilities to consider to explain this type of symptom you have been having, however not all of the above possibilities may be applicable in your case.

As you see above there are several possibilities and this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for this new symptom of burning feeling. In this regard please try to see a Dr in the clinic, preferably a Neurologist, so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by undergoing certain relevant neurological investigations too, such as some of the following;

MRI Scan of the brain

MRI Scan of the spine/spinal cord

EMG/Nerve conduction test (a nerve test)

Blood tests such as the following ones;

Comprehensive metabolic panel (general medical & metabolic tests)

CBC (Complete Blood Cell count)

Blood sugar, GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test), HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin) – (diabetes tests)

Serum total protein & globulin (tests for the status of nutrition, and also for status of immunity)

SPEP (Serum Protein Electrophoresis) - this test, as well as the immediate two tests mentioned below are immunological related tests

IPEP (Immuno Protein Electrophoresis)

Urine for BJP (Bence Jones Protein)

Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1 & B2, Vitamin D (Vitamin deficiency tests)

TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid tests)

ESR, CRP, ANA, dsDNA, Rheumatoid factor, SSA, SSB, Serum complement assay etc (autoimmune/inflammatory disorders tests)

Lyme antibodies, Mono, RPR (chronic infection related tests)

Heavy metal screening (tests to rule out heavy metal toxicity) etc

The above mentioned are the various investigations that are usually required to ascertain the precise cause for this new symptom you have been having, and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. Please see I am not telling all the above mentioned investigations are required in your case. After a thorough examination in the clinic the Neurologist will be in a position to decide which of the above investigations are required in your case. And also if any of the above mentioned investigations have already been done recently then there is no need to repeat them again, rather the focus needs to be on those investigations that have not already been done.

In the meantime you may consider trying some of the following symptomatic treatments that can help you with getting relief from this annoying & bothersome symptom in the form of burning you have been experiencing;

A) Certain General measures or Self-care measures such as the following;

Adequate rest

Sufficient sleep

Adequate fluid/water intake

Healthy, Nutritious & balanced diet

Daily exercises

Epsom salt bath etc

B) Certain OTC (Over the counter) treatments/Home remedies such as the following;

Capsaicin pain relief skin cream

Penetrex Neuropathic Pain Relief Cream

Nervex neuropathic pain relief cream

Arnicare pain relief skin cream

Lidocaine anesthetic skin cream

Therapeutic Neuropathy Pain Relief Healing Balm with Organic Essential Oils etc

C) Certain prescription pills, also called as Nerve-pain pills such as the following;

Gabapentin

Pregabalin

Amitriptyline etc

D) Certain Special procedures or Medical devices such as the following;

Laser therapy (Cold laser type)

Ultrasound therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation) etc

The above are the various treatment options to consider, but please see I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with several treatments that are available for helping with your health condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

In addition to the above, you may also consider trying certain nutritional supplements such as the following ones;

Methyl Guard Plus (which is a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, vitamin b9/folate, vitamin b6, vitamin b2)

Vitamin B1 (Benfotiamine)

Vitamin D

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Acetyl L Carnitine

Coenzyme Q10 etc

These above mentioned nutritional supplements too can help in getting relief from this symptom, and also assist with faster recovery too.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are many possibilities as mentioned earlier above that can cause the type of new symptom in the form of burning feeling you have been having.

2) A thorough examination in the clinic by a Neurologist, followed by undergoing certain relevant investigations as mentioned earlier above (MRI scan, EMG/Nerve conduction nerve test, certain special blood tests etc) can help us in finding out the precise cause for this new symptom and then treated appropriately

3) In the meantime you may try some of the symptomatic treatments mentioned above and these can help in providing relief from the annoying & bothersome burning symptom you have been experiencing, as well as help with faster recovery too

4) And also very importantly, please see this type of health condition can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure so please try to see a Neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed above, for the best results.

Please go through the above answer which - as mentioned earlier – is based on what information I could gather from your original question that you have posted above. If you want to discuss this further or if you need any additional clarifications please reply to me, and also please try to provide me the additional information I had requested earlier through the questions I had posted above, and I am available here for further discussions until you are fully satisfied. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD