Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife just had a cortisone injection in her knee about 7…

Customer Question
My wife just had...

My wife just had a cortisone injection in her knee about 7 hours ago. She is in tremendous pain in her knee for the last 4 or 5 hours. Can not put any weight on knee and can't even touch without pain. What can I do for her.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Moving or even touching her knee. There may be some swelling but she had a very sore spot just under her knee just before the shot.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She takes many medications, is a cancer survivor. get monthly Gamma Globulin infusions for her Immune system. Type 2 Diabetes.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Actually sometimes after getting a steroid injection into the joint, patients can experience severe pain which SHOULD start to settle down within 12-24 hours or at least respond to OTC anti-inflammatory medications. In this situation, there are a couple of things that you can try,

Start giving her OTC anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen at a dose of 800 mg thrice daily

OTC Tylenol at a dose of 1 g thrice daily

Apply OTC capsaicin gel to the knee joint

Apply heat packs on the area for 10-15 mins at a time 4-5 times a day

APply a compression bandage to the area

Apply OTC lidocaine gel to the area as well

If these measures FAIL to help in improving her pain then you would need to have her evaluated in the ER as in that case a xray and clinical examination is necessary along with MUCH stronger painkillers to control her pain.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/