Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have over 20 times swallowed litchium small batteries,

Customer Question
Hello. I have over 20 times...
Hello.
I have over 20 times swallowed litchium small batteries, like obsessive thoughts. Previously investigated by psychologist, without help. Now for the last three weekends I have swallowed batteries every weekend. My doctor has now started up with midazolam, which I will take when I get these thoughts. But this was started yesterday, diazepam had no effect. Got a new psychologist hour Thursday.Having big problems with swallowing last year because of this. Also been on blocking.Night to Sunday I swallowed it again, was taken out after 8 hours. Written out the following day, but recovered Monday because I could not swallow anything, not even my own spit. Is not bad, just hurt to disgusting. Is at the hospital now. But I wonder about this. They will not make a new gastroscopy because they think it will make it worse. Now tonight I have thrown up blood, been nauseous and it feels like blood flows from the far back of the esophagus and into the stomach. Could this be a sign that there are soon holes in the esophagus? Nausea, but it eases when I get thrown up.Should I require a new gastroscopy? What do you think?What medications do you think could help me in the short term? Until I get help from a psychologist?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, the presence of blood in your vomitus is a sign that your esophagus and stomach are markedly inflamed and this inflammation is leading to blood being oozed from the lining of both of these organs. This does not mean that you have a hole in your organs because if you did then you would be MUCH MUCH sicker and would be unable to breathe, have severe chest pain and possibly even fall unconscious. The blood indicates that you could have ulcers in the organs which are small breaks in the lining of these organs AND can develop into holes later on. But the fact is that you need to be evaluated IMMEDIATELY in the ER as you are throwing up blood and given that there is ongoing bleeding, I think an endoscopy/gastroscopy would have to be done soon. Your doctors were right in delaying the endoscopy previously but right now with the blood in the vomitus, I think they will go for an emergency gastroscopy especially if the blood is coming out repeatedly. So yes you will need a gastroscopy, the sooner the better.

Regarding which medications can help here, I think given your situation you may need to be started on an SSRI like Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft or even Prozac which would start to control these urges over a period of 2-4 weeks and in the short term they can start you on lorazepam or clonazepam. Additionally, you will need extensive psychotherapy to get to the root of the problem.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Thx. It was a surgeon her, before I vomit blood. After i vomit it, the nurs Call the doc, and she say its maybe was a small bleeding, but they will wait until daytime to maybe take a gastrocopy. How can I talk the doc inn to take the gastroskopy? I will do it, but they seems not happy.Medicatione: Im from Norway! All Things her are in tablets! Noting in mixsture and another Things SSRI. My øsofagus is 96% delayed :(

IF this occurs again then they will go for the gastroscopy right now rather than wait and if it was a very small amount of blood which has NOT recurred then they are right to wait. The reason to wait when there is a SMALL amount of blood is that in your case, the esophagus would be friable and they would go for the endoscopy when absolutely essential, they probably want to do it in the morning when all the hospital staff is present so they can deal with any complications if they arise. They are just being careful and I would not say that they are wrong in that.

Secondly, even if they are on tablets, can you crush the tablets and then swallow them with water? Because if you can drink water then you can crush certain tablets and still use them, Some SSRIs can be used in this manner.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, I would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

you recomend that they shold do a scopy at daytime??
Aneway i think. .its not much blood, but 50 ml a houer

Yes i would recommend an endoscopy in the daytime UNLESS you start to bleed again or start bleeding in profuse amounts.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Hi agian.No a doctor was here, but not a gastrosurgon. He says its very very tight there. Now i vomiting up about 200 ml blood. But the doc says that they will not do a gastroscopy beouse they then will make more harm... But this vomiting.... He just want me to be here and get IV painkillers and IV water....
If he says that the endoscopy will be difficult because of narrowing then listen to him. But as long as you are ein the hospital and on IV medications like omeprazole infusion and are being monitored then you should be stable. But it is imperative that you stay in the hospital. Do NOT go home at any cost.
Do remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Hello.Thanks for the last reply: P You are the best of all !!It is an etch injury caused by fluid that has run out of the battery back and forth in the mucous membrane 16 and 6 cm down from the tooth rack. Additionally, it is a rigid (very cramped) farther down. Yesterday an acute gastroscopy was made where they looked over and blocked out a little.
I can not drink / eat now, only sin nutrition and IV fluid.
This could take a long time.It was a question of having a new gastroscopy to see things grow up shortly. Is it necessary? Tried to drink a little water after a doctor's message today, but then it was quite close. Is it normal? I have been able to swallow my spit myself earlier yesterday and today early, but now I can not do it now. Must spit it out as it does not pass ...

Mild issues after endoscopy are to be expected and you should be able to swallow your own saliva within a few days. Once the inflammation in the region goes down you should start to feel better. I think your situation may require the insertion of a PEG tube through which you will get nutrition until the oesophagus heals over time.

please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor