Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I believe I have a bladder infection. I have had one in the…

Customer Question
I believe I have...

I believe I have a bladder infection. I have had one in the past and the

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Symptoms are the same. Burning sensation when urinating.and the

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Sensation you always have to go to the bathroom.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take two prescriptions for high blood pressure. Atenolol and hydrochlorothiazide otherwise pretty healthy.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of clinical experience and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms/question to help you more efficiently.

Do you have fever?

no

How long have you been on Hydrochlorthiazide?

10 years approximately

When was your last infection? And did they take a culture from urine at that time or not?

five years ago and they did culture it

Thank you.

My greatest concern was to find out if you have been getting recurrent UTI or not.

So If the last infection was 5 year ago, it means you donot have recurrent or relapsing or complicated UTI; which is reassuring.

Now for the current symptoms of burning and frequency, the best thing that can help you at home is good amount of fluid intake. Cranberry juice can also help; but you need a course of antibiotics to cure this.

And again a urinalysis and culture has to betaken before the start of antibiotics; AS the treatment duration can be up to 14 days in case of resistant organisms.

I would have suggested an ultrasound of urinary tract if you were having the UTI's repeatedly to make sure there wasn't a fixed factor like a stone, causing these infections. But as of now; basic blood test like cbc/crp, urinalysis and culture would be okay.

So your next step is clear, see the doctor and have your management started ASAP.

was it helpful?

Good luck and wish you speedy recovery.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.