Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Are you here? The past week I've been low on energy and I…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Yes hello...

Second opinion] Yes hello are you here?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

The past week I've been low on energy and I haven't had much of an appetite at all I'll go to eat and I just can finish my food I'll start feeling like a gagging sensation this has caused me to lose some weight

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Is there any pain when you swallow? Or do you feel that the food has a hard time going down? Are there any other symptoms such as fevers or a rash?
No there are non of those symptoms
There are a few possibilities such as a viral infection that’s causing you to feel in such a way. Loss of appetite may also stem from inflammation of the intestinal lining from conditions such as gastritis though these often cause some discomfort.
If you haven’t had any weight loss or aren’t experiencing any weakness, then it’s less likely for it to be something serious. However, it’s still advisable to have some blood test done to see if your hormones might be off or if there is some other process such as a viral infection going on.
One thing you could try at home yourself is to take an antacid for a few days to see if that will make a difference.
I have had weight loss due to the lack of appetite the other doctor said it's most likely a viral infection that should resolve itself
Did they do any blood tests to confirm that?
I agree with the other physician that it’s most likely something benign. However it would still be good to take some medication in order to stimulate your appetite. I think the ant acids would help. You could try something such as the ranitidine 150 mg twice a day.
No I have not had any tests done I am able to walk around and do stuff etc I have had a cough and runny nose along with this and the only big issue is the loss of appetite and not really being able to eat which has caused me to lose some weight and when I start eating a meal I am able to eat fruits and yogurt stuff fairly light easily but heavier foods I just cannot finish I start feeling sick
Some sort of inflammation or irritation of the esophagus or the stomach would make sense in this case. It could’ve even been set off by a viral infection. You are certainly safe to just waited out until your body starts healing itself.
taking something such as tums do you think would help?
It's just he biggest problem for me is the appetite and just not being able to eat right so your saying just give it some time and my appetite will start coming back?
Tum’s might be a little bit too weak. I would try something along the lines of ranitidine.
Your appetite certainly will come back if you give it enough time. However if you want to expedite it then ranitidine might help. You can also try denser foods such as meal replacement shakes.
okay sounds good thank you
Glad I could help. I hope I provided you with a five star service. Please click on the rating button when you get a chance.
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD