Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Here goes...I have a problem swallowing certain foods,

Customer Question
Here goes...I have a...

Here goes...I have a problem swallowing certain foods, mostly chicken, pork and ground beef. It stops about halfway down and causes sever paid in my chest area. I have noticed the last two times I consumed ground beef in a hamburger and meatloaf that a couple of house afteward I begin to itch and my face swells a little bit. I also have acid reflux occasionaly I have to stop eating and try to throw up the food that is stuck just to get some relief. I often have diarrhea that is hard to control. I do not want to be one of these self diagnosing complainers but I am beginning to think I need some help. I am 53 years and had a colonoscopy about a year ago. They removed a few pollops but said everything looked okay.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

The acid reflux for several years. I took prilose for about a year but made the diarrhea worse so I stopped. The swallowing problem started maybe a year ago. The issue with ground beef just over the last few months and the same with the chicken.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take levox---somthing or other for my thyroid. I take a low dose of meloxicam for joint pain as my feet and hands ache alot. About four years ago I was diagnosed with polycethemia but we discovered that was brought on by smoking so I stopped smoking in 2013. My last RB count was about 15.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these symptoms

you should see a GI doctor, like the one who did your colonoscopy

you should have an upper endoscopy scope procedure to look down your esophagus

to look for scar tissue or narrowing of your esophagus which can cause this.

you may have to chew your foods better into smaller bites

and drink more water when you swallow.

how old are you?

I am 53 years. Drinking water or other liquid never helps it only seems to back up cause me to regurgitate the food.

then you need to see a GI doctor to get an upper endoscopy scope procedure to look down your esohpagus asap.

Family Physician, Doctor