Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

HAVE PAIN IN BACK BETWEEN THE SHOULDER BLADES, MORE AT NIGHT…

Customer Question
HAVE PAIN IN BACK...

HAVE PAIN IN BACK BETWEEN THE SHOULDER BLADES, MORE AT NIGHT WHILE LAYING FLAT

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

NO INJURIES, TYLENOL HELPS, HOT SHOWER HELPS BUT NEVER GOES AWAY.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

HAD BYPASS ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO, BUT NO PROBLEM WITH THAT, COULD IT BE A GALL STONE?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of clinical experience and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms/question to help you more efficiently.

Do you get nausea, vomiting or flatulence ?

No
Been going on for about a month

Thank you very much for the useful information.

This is reassuring.

Most likely this is a muscle spasm, it can be painful enough to wake you up from sleep.

The usual causes are physical exertion, dehydration, or some times inappropriate postures (especially during sleep).

Another possibility is of a pinched nerve in the spine, causing excessive pressure over the nerve and hence the resultant pain.

Now in the absence of any abdominal symptoms, this doesn't point towards gall stones at all. Also in the absence of chest pain, or shortness of breath, I don't think this is something serious like cardiac, but off course you need treatment for this.

You can take TYLENOL or MOTRIN right now.

Heat pads or hot water bottle application (best muscle relaxant).

Gentle massage will also help.

Have rest.

Hopefully this should be okay completely with in few days.

But if in case it doesn't improve, or if the pain becomes unbearable, it will be an indications to seek a physical evaluation by the doctor.

May be you will eventually need MRI for this.

This is not related to any abdominal organ and appears musculoskeletal pain in origin.

was it helpful?

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.