Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has hives all over his body, two years old, nothing…

Customer Question
My son has hives all...
My son has hives all over his body, two years old, nothing had changed. He hasnt eaten anything different, touched anything new, I gave him benadryl and they almost went away, the next morning he had them all over again, but worse. Took him to the ER and the doctor said it was chicken pox... which it clearly is not. Another dose of benadryl and they were almost done, ( give at 9 am, it's now 2:30 pm ) Now they're back! the benadryl makes them go away but only for a few hours and they come back.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2017
Doctor: Eric Goldstein, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Eric Goldstein
Hello. My name is***** and I just read through your question.
Hives can do this. They can disappear and come back, they can even migrate from one part of the body to the other. This can continue for up to two weeks. Benadryl is a short acting antihistamine. That's why the hives keep reappearing. The benadryl will only last a few hours. The treatment is to use a kong acting antihistamine. You can use Claritin or zyrtec. In either case, we give the child 1 teaspoon once per day for 7 days. Then we stop after the seventh day. If the hives persist beyond that time, a discussion with your doctor and a possible referral to an allergist is warranted. If the hives do not reappear, we are done.