Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What causes kidney stones. Now and then pain in right kidney…

Customer Question
What causes kidney stones ...

What causes kidney stones

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Now and then pain in right kidney and once in a great time my right? leg goes numb

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling, when I need to eliminate waste that is a couple days since

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just this pain makes it difficult to walk when I am over due for eliminating waste

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

How long has this been going on and have you had any tests or studies to evaluate it?

9months or so. No tests

Well this doesn't sound at all like a kidney stone problem

You've got back pain with radiculopathy--the pain/numnness goes into your right leg

At this point you need to have this evaluated with an exam, x-rays and an MRI scan of your lower back to check for a disk problem

Usually this isn't a surgical situation and it responds to physical therapy

Please let me know if you need any more information

The pain is not in my back, but in my lower right side

Where exactly?

My question: what causes kidney stones

OK

In general they just happen--sometimes after a period of dehydration

Usually they pass in two or three days

Sometimes high calcium or uric acid levels in the blood can cause them

thank you

My pleasure