Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was wondering if you can aqccuire herpes from Lung cancer?

Customer Question
Hi, I was wondering...

Hi, I was wondering if you can aqccuire herpes from Lung cancer?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

What do you mean?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well, Im asking for my grandmother so Im not quite sure

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your grandmother. Are you asking whether patients with lung cancer are MORE PRONE to develop or catch viral infections like herpes zoster or herpes simplex, as compared to other people? If not what is your exact medical question?

Hi Dr. Muneeb Ali,I am just asking if cancer can activate herpes? If so, how?

Thanks for the clarification,

Actually, cancer causes the activation of dormant herpes, both zoster and simplex, simply by reducing the immunity or rather affecting the immune system of the body. As cancer starts to spread and cause the destruction of the various body cells, it also affects the immune system. The immune system usually can cause the viruses like herpes to stay dormant for a prolonged period of time or even if it cant, it acts by reducing the severity and frequency of the outbreaks. So once the immune system is affected by the cancer, the virus reactivates and causes a more severe outbreak. This is the same principle via which patients who are above the age of 60 are more prone to develop shingles than patients who are much younger. As we age the immune system weakens and this is why viruses which would not have caused the disease when we were younger, are able to cause a problem at an older age.

Similarly, cancer by weakening the immune system, reduces the body's natural defenses against these viruses, thus causing them to reactivate. This can ALSO occur during the treatment of cancer, the drugs which target the cancer cells ALSO weaken the immune system commonly and thus that again can lead to reactivation of the virus. Now it is important to know that usually, it is the treatment which causes the viruses to activate in most cases, Cancer itself would usually cause the reactivation when it has spread significantly ,there are always exceptions that are true, but usually it causes the viruses to reactivate when it has spread to multiple locations in the body.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.