Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am feeling a lump come out when trying to pass a bowel…

Customer Question
I am feeling a...

I am feeling a lump come out when trying to pass a bowel movement. Do I have to go to the ER? I have not had a proper bowel movement since Friday. I had a small bowel movement yesterday. I feel like I still have to go.... do I need t

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

Do I need to go to the ER

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It is hard, this started yesterday morning. Had a great colonoscopy in Feb. No medical hx

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Are you having pain or blood in the stool?

No blood. Pain in the rectum bc of the lump. How can I make this stop?
no call
is there an answer or do I get a refund

It sounds like you are having protrusion of the rectum beyond the anus which is called rectal prolapse.

It can be caused by constipation and straining on the toilet.

Treatment is based on reducing or pushing the rectum back into place, a high-fiber diet, and stool softeners to avoid constipation and straining.

Surgery can correct prolapse, restore or improve continence, and improve constipation and impaired evacuation.

There is no harm in going to the ED for help reduce your colon back into place and get hooked up with a colorectal surgeon.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

The main concerns are rectal mucosal ulcerations and necrosis of rectal wall from persistent or recurrent prolapse.

Did you receive my previous answer?

I’m better thanks
We can end the conversation
Thank you
Oh ok please send 5 stars to close out the question.
Dr. Scott, Doctor