Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mom is 83 years old she just resintly start talking in…

Customer Question
My mom is 83...

My mom is 83 years old she just resintly start talking in her sleep and scratching herself i am so confused what is wrong

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Talking in sleep, accusing me of stealing money, scratching all over her body

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has depression and anxiety which she takes pills for

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

We think she might have early signs of sundowners or alzhimers

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Acute changes in mental status with elderly individuals can be an early sign of infection. Unlike her younger days, she will not recognize a UTI, viral infection, or pneumonia. The first step in investigating acute mental status changes is an infectious work up with baseline chemistry panel, blood counts, and metabolic work up. Does she have a doctor who can perform this?

It seems like you have stepped away.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

she goes for blood work tommorrow i don't know if i should wit or take her to the hospital

When did this start? And why does she have blood work tomorrow?

about three to 4 weeks ago she is going for routine blood work

If nothing has changed overnight, I would wait until tomorrow.

Did you receive my previous answer?