Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had blood work done and I have high Vitamin D levels. The…

Customer Question
I had blood work...

I had blood work done and I have high Vitamin D levels. The doctor was puzzled, as I live in a northern state and I do not take any Vitamin D pills. What could be the cause of this?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take Lexapro and Ativan. I am allergic to Celore. I am currently withdrawing from Kratom (an opiate like substance) with the help of my doctor over the last 10 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diagnosed with ODC (which leads to anxiety and depression). Have also been using CBD oil to help with kratom withdrawal. I'm also attempting to use THC to help sleep during the withdrawals, but it does not get me high, which is odd, because years ago in high school and college when I experimented with the plant, I seemed very sensitive to THC

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your test results. Usually, the commonest cause of increased vitamin D in the body is due to use of supplements, these don't need to vitamin D pills and it can also be due to using multi vitamin supplements as well. Many multivitamin supplements contain low amounts of vitamin D which can accumulate over time. However, if you do not use any supplements at all then we can consider other possibilities. These would include problems like,

Liver diseases

Kidney diseases

Hyperparathyroidism which is a condition in which there is increased production of the parathyroid hormone which leads to increased absorption of vitamin D and increased activation of VItamin D in the kidneys.

Sarcoidosis - which is a disease of the lungs in which the lymph nodes enlarge and also develop fibrosis over time.

If the vitamin D levels are MARKEDLY high then the above causes should be considered with the help of additional tests like renal function tests, liver function tests as well as a PTH level along with calcium, phosphate levels.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I was taking a lot of flax seed oil and cod liver oil. Could that be it?

Cod liver oil may cause a slightly increased levels of vitamin D and so flax seed oil, but it depends on the exact levels that you had. Very high amounts should be investigated for other causes as well. Also cod liver oil does contain 10,000 IU of vitamin D per 100 g. So if you have been using a lot, it can explain higher than normal levels.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.