Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a liver transplant in 2004. Due to me moving from Mo…

Customer Question
I had a liver...

I had a liver transplant in 2004. Due to me moving from Mo to Az.I have. had problems getting my rejection meds. The pharmacy has refused it to me because they claim I owe _$459

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I was taking. Scurrilous 2mg daily. I haven't had any for10 months. By me not taking it is this going to cause death. I also take Lexmark,20 mg daily.. I am allergic to Zoloft n Prozac.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have hep c and back problems. I have had 3 back surgeries. The latest being in2013.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually not using an immunosuppressant drug like SIROLIMUS can lead to serious problems in the body. This drug is primarily used to reduce the body's attack on the transplanted liver and to suppress the activity of your body's antibodies against the transplanted liver. If the immunosuppressant drugs are stopped for a prolonged period of time, that will actually lead to the development of damage to the liver and you will start to undergo a problem with is known as Organ rejection. What happens here is the body starts to damage the liver and essentially rejects its integration into the body. This leads to the liver failing over time and eventually, you will be right back where you started, dealing with problems of chronic liver disease. Once those are left untreated then yes it will eventually lead to death.

So to simply answer your question, YES not using the immunosuppressants like sirolimus will eventually lead to catastrophic liver failure and may even cause death, however, his would not occur suddenly but instead would occur over 12-24 months in most cases.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/