Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can my frequent flulike symptoms including severe back and…

Customer Question
Can my frequent flulike...

Can my frequent flulike symptoms including severe back and knee pain be caused by the metal screws and staple in my foot after bunion surgery?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Bunion/hammertoe surgery on 9/29 then hospitalized on 10/6 with a blood clot in my lung.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm on blood thinner, Warfarin .5 mg per day.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Metal screws in the body can cause flu like symptoms . This is due to a hypersensitivity reaction to the metal. While in most cases, the symptoms may be local, many people do have a generalized body reaction which appears to be flu like in nature. For most people, these symptoms disappear as the body adjusts to the metal.

The back and knee pain may not likely to be related to be directly related to the bunion surgery. It is however possible, that pressure on the nerves n the foot are causing a radiating pain up the sensory nerves to the back and knee. This pain may also decrease when the inflamed tissues around the screws settle down. But if the pain is quite severe, please consult your doctor for a further examination to check for any infection and/or inflammation.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

What about arthritis? Could that flair up from the issue I spoke of above? After icing my knee and a good night's sleep, the pain totally subsided and I was back to normal the next morning. What goes here? I'm making an appointment with the podiatrist who did my surgery this week to see what he thinks about all of this.

Arthritis would not flare up from the presence of metal in the body. But it can flare up when the joints are manipulated due to any cause.

In your case, manipulation of the leg while putting in the metal screws could have led to the arthritis flare up. Or it could have been a coincidence.

I hope this helps.
Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.