Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was treated for mrsa with antibiotics more than a week…

I was treated for mrsa...
I was treated for mrsa with antibiotics more than a week ago. No longer have it to the best of my knowledge. Although, I'm told by medical professionals that it will always stay with you. Should I take precautions or have others take precautions when near me in the hospital and even back at home? Should I order hospital mask, gowns and gloves for my family at home?Will I have to do this for the foreseeable future?
12/3/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how were you treated for MRSA?

did you have bacitracin nasal swabs? have you been washing with hebicleans soap in the shower?

where was your MRSA infection?

how old are you? are you male or female?

I was given oral antibiotics. I can't recall the name. My infection was located in a pressure sore. I first caught the bug about five years ago in the hospital.Male late 40s

has the pressure sore healed up?

no, it is still open. But, like I said, I finished the antibiotic for the mrsa

you don't have to order hospital masks and gowns

you should ask your doctor for a swab of your nose for MRSA. if there is MRSA in your nose, you should use bactroban antibiotic cream for inside of your nose

you should aways wash your hands before and after picking your nose.

you should wash with hebiclense antibacteria soap daily in the shower for a few weeks until the wound closes up

you may need to go to wound clinic to make sure you wound heals up

you should make a follow up appointment with an infectious disease doctor to talk about these issues

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

what about precautions? Should people, whether family or caregivers, that help me throughout the day use medical gowns and masks? Will these kind of precautions be required in the future even after use of antibiotics?

no, people around you, family don't need to use medical gowns or masks.

after you see infectious disease doctor

and get a nose swab

and wash and bath in hebiclense for a few weeks, you should be fine

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician