Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to ask something regarding a potential adhd…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to ask something regarding a potential adhd disorder

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

For a while now, since a young age, i have experienced a lot of problems with concentrating. I find myself doodling or being very fidgety to be able to have a minimal level of concentration, I'm 19 and I have noticed the symptoms worsening considerably. i'm increasingly forgetful and tend to have bursts of hyperactivity and i struggle to follow a conversation as my mind wanders elsewhere i'm scheduled to see a psychiatrist on tuesday but wanted to know if this could possibly be linked to an anxiety disorder i also have and to the medication i'm taking for it

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I started to experience it when i was very young, more or less 7 years old and over time it became worse, particularly since i left high school. I was able to deal with it but over time it became harder and harder to manage

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just an anxiety disorder for which i'm prescribed 150 mg of zoloft

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/3/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including ADHD/Anxiety disorders, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health in the form of the symptoms and issues you have mentioned above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I see you have been having certain symptoms as you have described above and you have inquired whether this could be possibly linked to the anxiety disorder or to the anxiety med Zoloft you are on.

Please see both anxiety disorder, and the medication Zoloft you are using to treat anxiety can cause or contribute to the symptoms you have mentioned above.

You have mentioned the following various symptoms;

Problems with concentration

Doodling or fidgety

Forgetfulness

Hyperactivity

Struggling with conversation as mind is wandering elsewhere etc

Please see either anxiety or anxiety medication such as Zoloft too can cause these types of symptoms

But it sounded to me your symptoms initially started when you were very young, around age 7 yrs or so, and this is not the age where most of the kids suffer from anxiety disorder, so if you were having symptoms around this age itself then anxiety disorder does not appear the cause for your symptoms, at least originally when it all started

And I guess you were not on Zoloft around that age (please correct me if I am wrong), if you were not on Zoloft around that age then it too was not related to this med, at least when it all started around age 7

So we can confidently say the symptoms were initially not related to anxiety or the anxiety med Zoloft

This observation, along with the type & pattern of the symptoms you have been having indicates there indeed is suspicion for adhd condition in you. In fact you are having very typical presentation for adhd – considering you have been having issues with both attention/concentration as well as with hyperactivity too – which are the characteristic manifestations of adhd.

However recently, if you have been having anxiety disorder then it may be possibly contributing to the adhd and worsening it

Also Zoloft too can contribute to this, this is an antianxiety medication from SSRI group (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and these meds are overall considered very safe and free of any serious side effects, but they can cause anxiety like situation in some of them who use this type of med. So they can help with anxiety, but paradoxically they can also induce anxiety in some patients who use these types of SSRI meds.

And SSRIs including Zoloft can also cause symptoms such as issues with concentration, memory, etc too

So Zoloft too may be possibly contributing to the symptoms you have been having

The contribution from Zoloft can be suspected if you see worsening of the symptoms, say about one to few hours after taking Zoloft – because this time corresponds to the peaking of Zoloft in the blood and the side effects are expected to be at their maximum during this period, so if you see your symptoms worsening around this time period after intake of Zoloft then there is a possibility Zoloft is contributing to the symptoms you have been having.

And similarly, if you feel your symptoms are more severe when you are more anxious or you are under more stress then it may also hint anxiety is too contributing to the worsening of the symptoms you have been having.

And there can also be certain underlying medical conditions such as the following mentioned below, and these too can cause or contribute to the types of symptoms you have been having;

Thyroid disease

Vitamin deficiencies

Electrolyte disturbances

Blood pressure changes

Liver of kidney conditions

Infections or inflammatory conditions etc

If you have not undergone a thorough medical evaluation to rule out the above mentioned possibilities recently, then please try to get further evaluated for these medical conditions and all these conditions can be ruled out with certain simple blood tests, and then treated appropriately if any above mentioned medical conditions are diagnosed. When you see the psychiatrist, they can also arrange for the above mentioned blood tests.

Once again to your main question, yes, it is possible anxiety and/or Zoloft contributing to the symptoms you have been having and possibly worsening your symptoms, although it appears the original issue was adhd because it started around age seven, 1) and I assume you were not having anxiety disorder – it is indeed extremely rare for one to have anxiety disorder around age 7, or 2) you were not on Zoloft around that age (please correct me if I am wrong related to the above two statements I have made), and while adhd appears the primary issue, but recently there is a possibility anxiety disorder and/or Zoloft can be contributing to the worsening of the symptoms – because both of these are known to do this.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

And if diagnosis of adhd is confirmed then coming to the treatment aspects of this condition;

Please see there are two ways of treating adult adhd, one method is by using medications and the other method is by using non-medication approaches and I have mentioned both below.

A) The following are the various prescription medications that can be tried to help with treating adult adhd;

Dextro-amphetamine

Adderall XR

Lisdexamfetamine

Methylphenidate

Atomoxetine

Clonidine

Guanfacine

Bupropion

Modafinil

Armodafinil

Desipramine etc

B) The following are certain non-prescription over the counter individual herbal preparations or supplements that can help with adult adhd;

Ginkgo Biloba

Racetam preparations like Piracetam, or Aniracetam, or Omberacetam

Bacopa Monnieri

Mucuna Pruriens

Theanine (L Theanine)

Rhodiola rosea

Valerian root extract

Ashwagandha

Ginseng-preparation

Chamomile

Inositol

SAMe (S adenosyl methionine)

Omega 3 Fatty acids (DHA & EPA) etc

C) The following are certain non-prescription over the counter combination herbal preparation or supplements (combinations made from the above mentioned individual ingredients) that can help adult adhd;

NeuroIgnite - Clarity, Memory, Focus

Advanced Brain Booster

Neuro-Peak - Memory, Focus, Clarity

Extra Strength Ginkgo + Phosphatidylserine - Focus, memory & mental performance

NeuroHealth Brain & Focus Formula etc

D) The following are various non- medication treatment approaches which may help with treating adult adhd;

CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy)

Biofeedback/Neurofeedback

Acupuncture

Relaxation therapy

Yogas

Meditations

Hypnotherapy etc

Please see, not all the above mentioned treatments are required in the same patient, I am providing you with a list like this so that you are familiar with the various treatment options that are available for managing adhd condition in adults.

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD