Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last night I noticed that my right cheek and down into my…

Customer Question
Last night I noticed...

Last night I noticed that my right cheek and down into my neck was quite swollen. The previous day I'd woken with a sore tongue and a bit of swelling on the inside of my right cheek. This AM it seemed a bit less swollen but now is up and a bit of discomfort. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

Last night is the first I've noticed. Perhaps a bit of numbness below my earlobe and discomfort if I apply pressure.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a kidney transplant here at Mayo in 1991. As a result of immune system being suppressed I get squamous cell carcinoma...I have an appt. Monday at the Gonda.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. The region you describe corresponds to the area of the parotid gland. This is a salivary gland that sits just in front of and below the ear. It sends a small tube into the back of the mouth through which the saliva passes. It can get infected, in which case it will swell and often get painful. The swelling can extend down into the upper neck region, particularly if local lymph nodes are involved. Similarly, the parotid gland can swell if a small stone gets stuck in the tiny duct that drains it. These conditions are typically easy to confirm by examination, and easy to treat with warm compresses and antibiotics. Sucking on sour candies can also help to clear the tube by stimulating more saliva production.

Thankyou! Your information is helpful. I'll do warm compresses and keep an eye on it!

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best and you are feeling better soon.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to help further. And thank you for using JustAnswer.

When we are done, please remember to rate my service by selecting 3-5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close the question).Best wishes,Doctor-Bob