Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My hemoglobin level is at present 105. What could be the…

Customer Question
My hemoglobin level is...

My hemoglobin level is at present 105. What could be the cause of this?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of the above but a severe lack of energy.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am undetectable HIV>

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/2/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

There are number of causes of low hemoglobin and the most common cause is dietry deficiency of iron, B-12 and folic acid specially if you follow strict vegetarean diet. Other causes include loss of blood from any part of the body like excessive bleeding during menstruation, bleeding in intestinal tract. Another cause is decreased production of red blood cells and issues with the bone marrow or increased destruction of red blood cells as occurs in malaria or spleen related problems. I would advise you to followup with your doctor as a thorough examination and further evaluation is required to find the exact cause out of a long list.

Meanwhile try to increase protein intake like lean meat, liver and green leafy vegetables which are good source of iron. Multivitamins would be beneficial.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I HAVE HEARD THAT THE MEDICATION FOR hIV CAN AFFECT THE HEMOGLOBIN LEVEL. i S THIS TRUE

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is true as the drugs used to treat HIV cause suppression of the bone marrow which is the main place to synthesize red blood cells and hemoglobin.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor