Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have tried to remove my stitches that were only supposed…

Customer Question
I have tried to...

I have tried to remove my stitches that were only supposed to be in for 10 days but they have now nearly been in 3 weeks as my cut was due to self harm and I was worried about getting judged and stigmatized, so I tried to take them out myself but I have cut the remaining thread off that was above the skin. I also don't know if it's infected as my arm is painful and red.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

It's a cut that I have had stitches in for 3 weeks and can't get them out as I have cut the remaining thread off

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Can you upload some images of it?

I have just tried sending an image but it's not working

I can see the image and it looks really good with no signs of infection.

It's definitely not infected but I see that you're having a hard time removing them. Would you be able to send me a picture of the cuts directly looking at it from the top or is the side view the only way you can snap a picture of it?

The only thing is I haven't had the stitches removed I tried to take then out myself and I cut the remaining thread from above the skin

Often times you need to use nail clippers and dig a little further down gently without cutting the skin and cutting the threads just a little further below the level of the skin. Then you can pull on the threads and they will come undone.

Here's a front view image

It hasn't come through yet but as soon as the image is uploaded I will let you know how best to approach those sutures.

Did you still need help with this matter?

I haven't seen your follow up image come through yet.