Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Want to know how much of a life span is there when you have…

Customer Question
Want to know how...

Want to know how much of a life span is there when you have copd and emphysema with 47% capacity of lungs left

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No just an idea of what I need to do

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

You mean medicines I am on?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

BP.. hypertension..oxy.24/7..pridmone for tremors

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of clinical experience and I will do my best to help you today.

The predictor of survival in patients with COPD is an index (a calculator); in which we put in some required values to get the exact answer.

well what is the answer

The survival predictor in patients with COPD is called BODE INDEX.

what does that mean?

It is a calculator in which we need to put some required values in order to get an exact answer.

well that was no help at all..... thank you

For example I need to know your FEV1 (forced expiratory volume) value---it must have been checked by your physician (checked by spirometry).

Do you have value for this?

Also I need to know your BMI (body mass index).

thank you

I can give you a link to the calculator, and if you can get the values from your treating physician, you can get the answer.

Actually this is the job of your primary physician to calculate this for you and thereafter according to the score make a plan regarding treatment and management goals.

I do this for all of my patients with COPD.

There is no other way you can get your answer.

was it helpful?