Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I seem to have some stubborn phlegm stuck between my nose…

Customer Question
I seem to have...

I seem to have some stubborn phlegm stuck between my nose and my throat on the left side

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

Not severe, but very annoying. Try to swallow it and it moves slightly but i cant swallow it. If i force air back from my mouth through my nose it moves as well but still doesnt budge

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am hypothyroid

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of clinical experience and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms/question to help you more efficiently.

Since when you are having this problem?

Allergies? Sore throat? Sinus issues previously?

For the last two days. No major issues otherwise, although prone to getting sinus congestions
Not currently congested
Only other issue is that the constant swallowing has given me a dry mouth and triggering excessive saliva

Thank you.

The best thing that can mobilize this bleb of phlegm/mucus is good hydration.

And try steam inhalation also.

I have tried inhalation, and am keeping myself hydrated. Its neither in my nose nor in my throat but somewhere in between. Is there no technique to help with this?

At the same time, if this doesn't help, then we need to consider other possibilities also. May be this is not mucus plug, rather a soft tissue swelling (Adenoid---at the junction of nose and throat); which can swell and can give these kinds of feeling when it is inflamed.

Unfortunately, there is no technique or remedy that you can try at home.

It need to be examined first by an ENT, with his instruments he can make manipulations---not you yourself (which can be very dangerous).