Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is an ALT of 515 and a ast of 189 something to worry about?

Customer Question
Is an ALT of...

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None-found on a routine blood work

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Gained a lot of weight.. tired

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What are your age and gender?

Do you have associated pain abdomen, bloating, flatulence?

Loss of appetite?

Alcohol, smoking and fat-rich diet intake?

Are you taking any medications including painkillers?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

not really... sometimes my stomach bloats but I associate it with my period
No, gain a lot of weight this year (25 LBS in a year)
No, I do not drink or smoke..
No, except for a pepcide
I did have my gallbladder out 2 years ago and my levels were high.. When I asked the surgeon should I follow up he said it was because of my gallbladder and not to worry about it
sorry, female 49 yrs old

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, your ALT and AST are abnormally high and indicates liver injury/damage.

At this point, I would recommend undergoing repeat Ultrasound whole abdomen to rule out the fatty liver, the extent of liver damage.

You should eat a fat-free diet.

You should hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Your thyroid function test should be done to rule out thyroid dysfunction if you have unexplained weight gain.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

It’s my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor