Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Need help with wife's BPD. Borderline Personality Disorder.

Customer Question
Need help with wife's...

Need help with wife's BPD

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Borderline Personality Disorder

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Emotional regulation

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What information would help?

Where to go? How to get started on therapy right away?
What's the best therapy for a full recovery? I am in Arizona but would be willing to travel.

That is very dependent upon the community in which you live. Where in Arizona do you live? Has she been getting any mental health care thus far? How was the diagnosis reached?

She got diagnosed locally (Pinetop, AZ) by a great counselor. She devalues him. So, it's hard to pin her down on the true emotions inside without getting closed off.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jose-garcia-388189a1/
The diagnosis was reached by the proper test. Not sure the title at the moment. I am a busy business owner, have bought self help books and researched for ages. I am incapable of assisting her properly. We need help as she is falling depressed and highly abandoned and emotionally deprived. She is showing signs of doing very impulsive and damaging things to our small fragile family (3 boys ages 4-11)
It's very hard to get to to trust our counselor's process.. I also do think a more BPD specific focus is needed.

I will do some research to look for resources near you in a moment, but let me make a few comments first.

While treatment for BPD is possible, there is no real "cure" for BPD. So, when you ask for therapy for a full recovery, if you are hoping for a cure, that would not be a realistic expectation. Instead, the goal with treatment is to get control of symptoms so that it does not adversely affect the life of the patient and family. Some of the associated conditions, such as depression, may be able to get complete recovery, but the underlying BPD has no real cure.

Getting treatment can be very difficult, because one of the common characteristics of someone with BPD is "splitting" which is a term that means that the person perceives someone as being black or white, and when a counselor or doctor challenges them or the patient gets into a difficult situation with that counselor or doctor, that counselor or doctor is frequently perceived very negatively.

If you have sought books, you may have found a book called "Stop Walking on Eggshells", which I have found to be most helpful for families in my practice.

Let me do some research into what resources may be available near you.

Thanks so much. We have dealt with this by ourselves and we now need help. Right now she is very impulsive in a deprivation way (meaning finding relationships with faulty people). This could hurt our family badly.. I need help to deal with this.

You are welcome. It may some time to complete the research, as some information is not as easy to find online, but I will respond again once I am done.

Thanks kindly.

You are welcome.

My battery life is nearing zero, please email me***@******.***

I have found some resources for you.

It is worth noting that general counseling can be helpful, and finding a counselor that is a good "fit" for your wife would be helpful. Unfortunately, there is no amount of research that can determine whether a specific counselor would be a good fit for any specific patient. Some people ultimately see a number of different conuselors before findings one that is a good fit.

However, there are also some specific counseling approaches that have been shown to be helpful with BPD, particularly Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. I have been looking for resources near you that have staff trained in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy.

The resources that I can find that are closest to you are:

• Phoenix Interfaith Counseling has two locations in Phoenix, at 4201 N. 16th Street, Suite 250, phone # of(###) ###-#### and at 2400 W. Dunlap Ave Suite 300, phone # of(###) ###-#### Phoenix Interfaith Counseling also has an office in Tempe, at 3910 S. Rural Road Suite J, phone # of(###) ###-####
  • Healthy Futures, in Scottsdale, at 9449 N. 90th St. Suite 210, phone # of(###) ###-####

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor