Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My grandson is complaining about his middle finger hurting.

Customer Question
My grandson is complaining...

My grandson is complaining about his middle finger hurting. It is red at the tip and has some white color around the nail. He is in a lot of pain. He is 9 years old

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

He said it started yesterday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing I can think of. I am the babysitter this weekend while his parents are out of town

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/2/2017
Doctor: Onlinedoc, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

Is he having swelling, redness on the affected finger?

Please upload a photo if possible.

Any pus discharge?

Have you given any medicines?

History of injury?

Any other medical illness?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

it has some redness and seems to have something like pus around the nail.

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, it seems Paronychia which is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail that begins as cellulitis.

I would advise you some self-care remedies which you can try.

Give him OTC Children's Advil and Tylenol as per his pain 4-6 hourly.

Also, give him Benadryl.

Soak his affected finger in warm water with an antiseptic solution for 15 minutes twice a day.

An application of OTC Hydrocort and Polysporin ointment twice a day can be helpful.

If his symptoms'll not show any improvement in next few days then see him to a doctor for a clinical exam and get a prescription for antibiotics.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Respected customer,
Do you have any other follow up question?
May I help you more?
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

We are in the emergency room at MHP in Shelbyville, in. Thanks

Good wishes for his health.

Thanks.
Take care.