Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has chronic "on the verge of" dehydration. He…

Customer Question
My husband has chronic...

My husband has chronic "on the verge of" dehydration. He also was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease 5 yrs. ago. He has been hospitalized with dehydration 3 times in the last year. He becomes very lethargic, wants to sleep, feels chilled but runs a fever of 101* - 102*. He is starting into one of these episodes as we speak today, the last one was 4 weeks ago today and ended up with 4 days in the hospital. Family can't agree on whether he always has this attendant fever. (His last episode was complicated by aspiration pneumonia at the very same time). His B/P is 151/79 - High for him - P 90, also high for him. He is 85 yrs old. He also has A-fib. and several other underlying conditions.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

The fever began today along with all other symptoms. Also have mild to mod. congestive heart disease with attendant cough on changing position (lying down to sitting up -. am wheelchair bound)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Peripheral vein dis., Marfan's Syndrome, sleep apnea, atrial fibrillation,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I'm very sorry about this.

Fever that high definitely needs attention in his age group

He could have a urinary tract infection brewing or pneumonia

He has no symptoms of a urinary tract infection but this might be a return of pneumonia from 1 month ago. That diagnosis was not definitive of a specific bacterium or virus and was "cleared up" with a course of a broad-spectrum antibiotic. The cough he has has been checked by his pulmonologist as well as primary care doctor.

Many times elderly people don't have symptoms from a UTI until it blows up septic

he needs to be seen ASAP

is this helpful?

Family Physician, Doctor