Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently failed a drug test for methamphetamines however I…

I recently failed a...

I recently failed a drug test for methamphetamines however I have never done meth in my life ever. my doctor knows all the meds I am on now but he seems sceptical of results they should have been accurate because my sample was sent to a lab. He told me that only five medications could have caused this could you tell me what they are?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I am not allergic to any medicine but I take Omeprazole, Montelukast, fluoxetine, metoprolol tartrate,metoclopramide, Lisinopril, levothyroxine, virtussin, d- amphetamine salt combo, rexulti, kolonop

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take symbicort inhaler also comivent

12/1/2017
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Do you take anything over the counter either regularly or infrequently?

Vitamin B12, Tylenol, day-quil and ny-quil

dextromethorphan, diphenhydramine, doxylamine, ibuprofen are just a few of the over the counter medications that can result in false positives and if you're taking OTC meds then it's quite possible for you to test positive.

The inhalers shouldn't cause anything with false positives but even your fluox can cause a false positive on methamphetamines.

Since you're on multiple medications that can cause false positives your doctor should be requesting mass spec testing to be more specific since otherwise your chance of false positive would be a bit high.

I don't understand how these thorough lab machines read a false positive.
When he 99.9percent accurate

Accuracy and precision don't have much to do with false positives and false negatives. These tests are designed to have a high sensitivity (false positive) and a low specificity (false negatives).

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I hope I have provided you with a 5-star service.

If you get a moment, please click on the rating button.

-Dr. Mo

I am wondering if I should speak with a lab because those same drugs I got from Google.
Do you know anyone else I could speak with?

I'm not sure if a lab technician would know much about it but certainly worth a try.

I can't think of anyone I can recommend but you can always post a question for a lab tech if such an expert is available on the site.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see you have asked for another expert

Bupropion (generic Wellbutrin),

Fluoxetine (Prozac) and trazodone,

Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed),

Labetalol (Trandate),

Methylphenidate (Ritalin)

Zantac (ranitidine)

can cause false positive for I recently failed a drug test for methamphetamines

Amphetamine Salt Combo (Adderall) can also cause false positive for methamphetamines

I'm surprised your doctor didn't mention this

but confirmatory testing with MS/GC testing will show you are not taking methamphetamines if you are not using this

I included an article for you

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

thanks for the positive feedback

would you consider 5 star feedback?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician