Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ok so i went into Urgent care a month or so ago for my ear…

Customer Question
Hi, Ok so i...

Hi, Ok so i went into Urgent care a month or so ago for my ear being extreamly itchy on the inside and it had been going on for a month prior to that. The dr. response was "Yeah its a little pink inside" and sent me on my way. Now it had been seeping a clearish liquid and seems like there is some kind of scabbing going on (but its not bleeding its like a white-ish scab) and the itching has become progressively worse.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

Couple months give or take. and no it'll stop and just itch again randomly and if i even touch anywhere near my ear it makes it itch.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/1/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, are you having any ear pain or fever? Is it just one ear or both? Do you have any skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis? Do you have dandruff? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Yea one ear my right one. Never had any skin problems or dandruff and it has started to hurt yesterday morning and I feel a little bit of pressure as well.

Thank you for that information. It sounds like it may be a skin condition called seborrhea which commonly affects the ears. It can be very itchy, often with a scaly, scabbing covering, reddish/pinkish-ness, and ooze clear fluid. I recommend rinsing the skin and ear canal with hydrogen peroxide 1-2x per day. You can also apply over the counter hydrocortisone 1% ointment (generic is fine, brands include Cortaid) 2-3x per day for 1-2 weeks. This will decrease the itch, inflammation and should stop the oozing as the skin heals. If you experience worsening pain, any bleeding, yellow pus-like discharge or fever, I would seek out medical attention to have your ear closely examined.

Can I help you with any other questions today?

If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer to conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.