Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been having problems for a few months my dr advised me…

Customer Question
I've been having bm...

I've been having bm problems for a few months my dr advised me that everything seemed to be okay, in the past week I've been very nauseas and my upper stomach is bloated, my upper stomach has a pain and none of my stools have been soft.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

This has been a problem for a few months. it's just gotten worse in the past week

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Whats your age and gender please?

21 and female

Alright well for now you need to avoid foods that can cause excessive gas and bloating ( you may google the list). You can take peptobismol for the symptoms as gastric upset can also lead to such presentation.

Probiotics usually help so you should add that too.

Fruits and vegetables would help with normalizing your BM esp if you have been passing hard stoo.l

If it doesnt settle then we need to do a few tests including ;

Complete blood count and ESR

Stool microscopy for ova/ cysts

Stool for H Pylori antigen

Thyroid function tests.

It could be chronic gastritis or IBS . So we need to rule out other causes before labeling it.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

I have not had a solid stool in over 3 months

Yes thats why we need a stool test to see if there is any underlying infection . Have you been dealing with some stress of late? This can aggravate IBS .

If the pain is crampy then mebeverine ( available OTC) can help as it sounds more like IBS. IBS typically would not cause an urge to defecate at night / during sleep, it doesnt cause any significant weight loss either as opposed to other causes of GI upset.

Tests i mentioned in my previous post would help rule out other causes of these symptoms so its adviseable to get them done

hope you found it useful.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.