Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just curious about my brain MRI results. Pretty much

Customer Question
Just curious about my...

Just curious about my brain MRI results.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Pretty much everything effected. I have a 3 mm "maybe lipoma" along surface of my midbrain and pons and a prominent pituitary gland ... so I get MRI's every year

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This year my pituitary has unchanged enlargement. It demonstrates homogeneous signal intensity and enhancement with no clear focal lesion. the finding says: unchanged pituitary enlargement, without appreciable focal lesion. This may be due to pituitary hyperplasis What does that mean what does "appreciable" mean

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of clinical experience and I will do my best to help you today.

Okay... do you need the information again?

Appreciable means any gross lesion or abnormality which can be recognized radiologically.

As per this report, there is no focal lesion/abnormality.

Stay Relaxed; these are the general anatomical descriptions which the radiologists use.

For practical purpose; this report is reassuring; there is nothing new in this.

was it helpful?

It's okay for it to be enlarged for a year? Also, why do they suspect the tumor along my brainstem is a lipoma and not something else?
I have a family history of brainstem tumors that have killed a lot of my family members. But, I don't know what type they were. Are brainstem lipomas hereditary?

As long as the size is not increasing, this is not abnormal or concerning.

Again, why they suspect it to be lipoma is the anatomical appearance, the particular amount of radiation taken by the mass during MRI, and the likelihood of this lesion in the appropriate clinical context.

No there is no evidence that brainstem lipomas are hereditary.

even though I have weird symptoms, left side stroke like symptoms, fainting, what seems like seizures, visual problems, hearing problems, never hungry, problems understanding language (like reading/writing/can't understand people talking), hallucinations, sleep issues, migraines, nausea and vomiting, sometimes I can't tell where my hand is at or judge distances, sometimes I can't see color or everything looks like i'm in a fun house.. and I'm 24. You don't think any of that has to do with these findings?

I don't think it has a strong relation, as there is no pressure or compressive symptoms by this mass, which is stable and has not increased in size.

I also always have a super low or high temperature. It's never normal & my hands and feet get colder than ice to where they hurt and nothing warms them up & I can't feel temperature.

No I don't think these symptoms have anything to do with this.

a lipoma doesn't put pressure on surrounding areas? Doesn't any tangible thing put pressure on what it is against? So what type of doctor should I go to next to find out what is wrong with me?

It can put pressure if it grows significantly in size and the pressure effect will be evident on MRI.

If its tiny, off course there wont be pressure effects, and this is what your MRI says.

You can see your PCP for the problems you have, some baseline blood tests should be done, and then appropriate referrals by him to specialties if he finds anything abnormal.

My bloodwork is fine. I'm tired of doctors telling me there's nothing wrong and i'm fine when i'm not. There are things here that are off, clearly. So why is it that I'm supposed to take these abnormal findings, along with my symptoms that affect my everyday life, and just act like it's fine. When it's cleary NOT when I'm passed out on the ground in my shit and vomit until someone finds me. I've advocated for myself and I'm tired of no one else taking me seriously. I know doctors are overworked, they don't know everything and their charting is ridiculous but if I had a doctor sit down & look things up with me instead of telling me " you're fine, maybe you have the flu" then I would appreciate it. I have to live with these debilitating symptoms everyday. Would it kill a doctor to take 10 minutes to try to understand what I live with every second? It doesn't matter if my blood work is fine, because I don't feel fine. Stop looking at these test and don't degrade how I'm feeling because I know my body and I know something is wrong- no matter what a bloodwork test says. I'm done here. Have a nice day.

I am sorry for your sufferings.

Unfortunately, at this platform I can give you answers and cant treat myself, so you understand the limitations.

Wish you good health.

Take Care