Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had abdominal problems since before I was 12 years…

Customer Question
I have had abdominal...

I have had abdominal problems since before I was 12 years old. Been to many doctors, got relief for a period of time with each dr. but one thing or another always comes back. The latest (at age 75) was an Ischemic Colitis Attack (originally diagnosed as diverticulitis) about 2 months ago. Thought it was relieved but now 2 months later, I still get bouts of diarrhea and cannot figure out why. It always happens very quickly and without warning. I have been told I have had SIBO, diverticulosis, at one time was told I had Crohn's (that was ruled out about a year later), colitis, etc., etc. I am at my wit's end. I want to be able to join my husband with his outdoor hobbies, but it doesn't seem to be possible. Will visiting one of the diagnostic clinics available be of value to me and possibly help my situation?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

No actually a journal, but I have most of my medical notes from doctors.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had 4 children, a bladder prolapse sling, tubal ligation. I'm sure there are more incidences that do not come to mind at the present.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

I would like to get some more information regarding your Question to help you more efficiently.

What treatment was given for ischemic colitis?

When was your last colonoscopy?

I received an initial colonoscopy that determined it was diverticulitis. I was taking an antibiotic at that time, but was told it was not necessary because it was for diverticulitis - not for Ischemic colitis. I waited for about 6 weeks, had another colonoscopy that showed any damage that happened initially was healing, but was given another antibiotic, Flaxyl, which was very annoying. I am on my way to the Dr. now to find out what he has to report. Had another bout of diarrhea last night - unknown reason. My last colonoscopy was on Nov. 14.

Thank you.

I think the most important step here is to find out the report of your last colonoscopy.

My gut feeling is that most probably you had pseudomembranous colitis, an inflammation that occurs secondary to a bacterium called clostridium difficile; and flagyl is a treatment for that (which you were prescribed before). However, now a days this is frequently not completely responsive to flagyl and need other stronger antibiotics like Vancomycin. And also there is high rate of recurrence of this problem, for which a prolonged course of vancomycin is usually required.

At this point, I don't think you need a repeat colonoscopy.

Rather stool examination would be more helpful initial modality, to check for clostridium difficile toxin (a reasonable non-invasive screening test for pseudomembranous colitis).

Also stool should be examined for ova/cysts of parasites --- at least 3 samples.

To conclude, you need to see a GI doctor (gastroenterologist) and discuss the details I have mentioned.

Initial approach should be a non-invasive testing, followed by further investigation if needed (like a scope).

I am pretty sure that with an appropriate management, you should be able to enjoy all kind of usual activities with your husband.

Was it helpful?

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.