Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Three or more years go I started to have hypertensive

Customer Question
Three or more years...

Three or more years go I started to have hypertensive situations occurring a fter midnight while sleeping

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I'm sorry the computer glitched. After midnight my BP ws going up to 240/150

Doctor's Assistant: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?

Not really, my heart rate and pounding is what always woke me up, but my BP was awfully high, so I would have my wife take me to the ER off of I-40 and Douglas, nearest ER to us. Again it was always during sleep when this occurred and at the ER they performed EKG and other tests and always ended up giving me a shot in my buttocks and keeping in house until the shot made my BP go down to normal. Usually releasing me at 6 am. This happened for months. The ER finally sent me to their main hospital to a cardiologist who tested my heart in every way possible and nuclear, ekg's and treadmill exams all normal. He still ended up putting me on Metopolol 75 mg bid, and clonidine patch TTS2. I still had break though hypertensive episodes just like my past. Finally, one day I went to see my father who was in a locked down facility with Alzheimers and the Chief Nurse who ran the facility looked at me, it was early morning, and said I looked horrible what's going on, and I told her I was coming from the ER after being in there for 6 hours, very little sleep and I explained my symtoms to her. She immediately said you have a severe case of sleep apnea and it could be fatal. I came here from being working in a sleep study facility for over 15 years, your situation is similar to others that I had in my studies, your snoring and not breathing so your heart speeds up looking for oxygen and our BP also i involved and goes up like you are experiencing. She told me to go to my cardiologist and ask him to send you to a sleep study, he agreed to doing that and the results were that I had Apnea over 70-100 a minute, so he had it repeated another day with the same results.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was sent to a doctor who worked with sleep apnea patients and he immediately had me placed on a VPAP machine after reviewing my sleep studies. He felt that although at my age I might have some hypertension, but the medication that I was on the Metopolol and Clonidine TTS2 were not helping me. Upon follow-up with my cardiologist, he said the Metolol was good for pacing my heart, and wanted to keep me on it despite after using the BPAP machine for over two years without a hypeternsive occurrence. These prescription medications are slowly killing me, making me extremely overweight, constipated all the time, dull chest pains, cold extremities and slowly causing my mind to fail. I do not know how to get off these medications and follow up with perhaps some supplements that can keep me healthy and my BP close to normal. Oh Yes, my wife reminded me I am also experiencing anxiety, and that too causes some increase in my BP around 150/88 or even 150/90. When I'm relaxed it's normally around 135-140/85. The prescription medication is doing nothing but hurting me. There's more, but I need help. Can someone take over my medical situation?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

I still need to understand how to ween myself off of the prescription medicine which I have been using for 2-3 years and it it is NOW known that these two RX items are not helping me in any way, they are making me more ill, causing internal problems and not keeping my blood pressure controlled in any way. I want to know how to ween off the TTS .2mg patch and the Metopolol 75mg tablets bid.