Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is omeprazole dangerous to my 96 year old mother to be

Customer Question
Is omeprazole dangerous to...

Is omeprazole dangerous to my 96 year old mother to be taking?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of the listed but my sister heard that several people have died from taking this drug

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It is my 96 year old mother I am concerned about she is quite well considering her age she is mentally alert but has high blood pressure which is under control but her digestion gives her acid reflux and her doctor has her on this mentioned medication

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Check up last Friday and her blood pressure was normal should she be on this medication for her reflux

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

In patients her age long term use of omeprazole can lead to osteoporosis--weak bones

It also may cause C diff colon infections

So were I your mother's doctor I would only have her on the omeprazole for about one month at the most

Please let me know if you need any more information