Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have just experienced explosive diarrhea for the second…

Customer Question
I have just experienced...

I have just experienced explosive diarrhea for the second time this week. This has happened in the past, and I have been successfully managing these episodes with a probiotic capsule daily and fiber in my morning juice--either tomato or grape. I have been encouraged by the results, but now the explosive diarrhea is back. It happened this evening on a date with a new person and meeting his friends. Luckily I was in the bathroom stall when it happened, but I dread the time that it might happen in public in front of others. In the past, I have gone through a series of tests that ruled out lactose intolerance. My mother (and I think my maternal grandmother) had the same condition. It caused my mother to isolate. I am 73 years old and would like some advice about managing this. I do take an anti-diarrheal medicine but only once a day. What do you suggest?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Yes, I am allergic to sulfa. I take HCTZ, potassium, a statin, an inhaler for mild COPD, and some excellent vitamins. I also take St. John's Wort, and Melatonin. I am active and have enjoyed a relatively long respite from this problem. I recently traveled to London and back with absolutely no problem.As stated in your description, when this occurs, there is very little warning, and suddenly I simply can't control the accident. I did have some cramping earlier this afternoon and took some gas relief medication as well as having taken an anti diarrheal medication this morning. I have really tried to address it, and it does work at times but then suddenly it recurs and this is disheartening!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't smoke, and have been sober for 29 years so there is no substance abuse. When I drank , I remember that diarrhea was often present. I have a genetic disease of hemachromatosis, but that is controlled by regular phlebotomies. I have recently resumed some sexual activity after being abstinent for over 20 year.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have explosive diarrhea.

you could be having allergy to milk or gluten in your diet

gluten is a protein in wheat flour so anything made of flour, bread, cereal, pasta, pizza crust, baked goods has gluten in it

you may need to try to avoid gluten to see if your diarrhea goes way

you should avoid milk and dairy for now as well

if you continue to have these diarrhea episodes, you may need to see a GI doctor to get a colonoscopy

let me know if you have questions.