Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 83 year old woman. My Doctor wants me to take

Customer Question
I am a 83...

I am a 83 year old woman. My Doctor wants me to take Alendronode because my mean bilateral hips is 0.7 g/cm2 with a T score of -2.5 SD. The side effects of this drug sound very bad. I am small and quite sanative to some drugs. Is there a better answer?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I don`t really have any symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had knee replacement several years ago and last year I got a pace maker after falling 3 times. All times I was out BEFORE I fell. After have a monitor on for 24? hours, they found that once in awhile my heart would drop down too low. I have had it for 6 months now without a fall. I really am quite limber.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My father died at 65 probably a heart attach. My mother died at 68 of heart failure, but she also was in late stage cancer. I have been feeling very good now and have been all along.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

I did not yet get a answer

Let me at the outset start with (which I am certain, you know), that osteoporosis can be without any symptoms. Following are the recommendations;

1) Weight bearing and muscle strengthening exercises.

2) Optimum calcium and vitamin D.

3) T-score of –2.5 or less at the femoral neck or spine will need some medications as fracture risk is high: Alendronate is the first line drug. While there are significant side effects, only less than 10% individuals will experience them. So you may try it.

Hope this is helpful.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl