Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What can I do to get rid of a hacking cough? I do not have a…

Customer Question
What can I do...

What can I do to get rid of a hacking cough? I do not have a sore throat, headache, or anything. Just a cough, and I do cough up phlegm.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

I don't have a headache.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The productive cough produces phlegm or mucus (sputum). Its most common causes are:

-Viral infection(most common cause)

-Bacterial infection

-Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)

-Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

-Postnasal drip

You need expectorant cough mixture to help loosen the phlegm and make it easier to cough up from the airways.Expectorants contain ingredients such as guaifenesin, ipecachuana or ammonium citrate.

The only expectorant available in OTC products is guaifenesin (some brand names: Mucinex, Robitussin Chest Congestion).So I advice you to take mucinex cough syrup,it will help you greatly & is available as OTC without prescription.

Spitting will help greatly.Instead of swallowing or ignoring the mucus,spit it into a tissue or the sink every time.

All this will help you greatly to get rid of this hacking cough.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question regarding your cough?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Thank you for the quick diagnosis. I do know that if I could spit out that phlegm, my cough would be greatly lessened, however, I don't know how to hack it up, so I can spit it out. Any suggestions??

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Following will help to hack coughing:

1. Stay hydrated.Drink plenty of fluids.
  2. Take mucinex cough syrup,it will help you greatly & is available as OTC without prescription.
  3. Throat lozenges will also provide great relief. They are available as OTC(over the counter).
  4. Remove irritants from the air.
  5. Drink hot liquids

All this will help you greatly in hacking cough & hence the spitting out of phlegm.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh