Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Hiccups what is cause> No specific symptoms. Stroke 4 yrs…

Customer Question
Hiccups what is cause> ...

Hiccups what is cause>

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No specific symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Stroke 4 yrs ago, caused rightside paralysis and brain injury right frontal hemisphere. Antispasmodtic med changed in last week from baclofen 10mg 4 x day to metaxalone 800mg 3 x day.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

are you male or female?

hiccups are usually caused by spasms of the phrenic nerve which innervates the diaphragm.

so a hiccup is basically a spasm of the diaphragm muscle

there are prescription medications like chlorpormazine which can help calm down the phrenic nerve and calm down hiccups

let me know if you have questions.

what could cause a spasm of the Phrenic nerve? Additionally, my son is 46 y.o.

drinking alcohol, eating too much, obesity, can all cause irritation of the phrenic nerve.

fluid outside of the lungs can do it as well.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician