Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is laryngitis infectious. Dry throat that and only a raspy…

Customer Question
Is laryngitis infectious Doctor's...

Is laryngitis infectious

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Dry throat that and only a raspy voice. I have an occasional cough

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I woke up yesterday morning. I think I slept with my mouth open so my whole mouth was dry. I drank plenty of water hoping to moisten my throat etc. but my voice was still raspy. Apart from that I feel very well.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I cant think of anything related. I am usually very health.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
11/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, Laryngitis can certainly be infectious if it is caused by a bacterial or viral illness. In fact, one of the major causes of laryngitis is a viral infection which can lead to the symptoms you are currently experiencing. As with most viral infections, the treatment is merely supportive in the form of OTC Tylenol or ibuprofen for the pain, increased intake of fluids and plenty of bed rest. Additionally resting your voice is extremely important for the proper healing of the larynx, ideally, you should not speaking at all to rest the vocal cords. However, if you are experiencing a fever of greater than 102 F and the cough is producing discolored sputum which is yellow or green in color then you could have a bacterial infection which would need to be treated with antibiotics. If you have these additional symptoms then I would suggest visiting your doctor for further evaluation, otherwise, try the above remedies and also start saline gargles which do help in soothing the throat. One more option can be to use OTC Tylenol, crush the tablet, mix it with warm water and then gargle with it. This can also help in soothing the throat as well but saline gargles alone can be very effective too.

In the meantime, you should avoid coughing near other people and use hand sanitizers to prevent transmission of the virus to those who are around you.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/