Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have started working out after months and am in severe…

Customer Question
I have started working...

I have started working out after months and am in severe pain

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

3 days, exercise, stairs to work

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
11/30/2017
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What are your age and gender?

Do you have generalized body ache or localized to some locations?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Swelling, tenderness in the affected areas?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

45bfemale all over especially legs. No. Yes tenderness. I took ibprophin. Didn't help much.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, it's very common to have such soreness in the body after a workout due to delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) which can occur when you start a new exercise programme.

When muscles are required to work harder than they're used to, or in a different way, it's believed to cause microscopic damage to the muscle fibers, resulting in muscle soreness or stiffness.

It usually lasts for 5-7 days maximum.

Now I would recommend starting Gatorade.

And do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and warm compresses on affected area.

Cool compresses can be helpful as well.

You should take OTC Aleve and Tylenol alternately every 4-6 hourly.

Elevate your legs.

Do gentle legs stretching.

Start potassium and Magnesium rich supplement.

And eat a high protein diet.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

It’s my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.